April 2024 Newsletter 

Save the date for the 11th Annual Game Set Match Gala and Tennis Fashion Show, which will be held Friday, May 10, 2024, at the Royal Sonesta Houston Galleria, 2222 W. Loop South.

The Houston Tennis Association and Tennis Express will present the event, which raises funds to support the HTA National Junior Tennis & Learning (NJTL) youth development programs providing free tennis and educational classes and scholarship opportunities. 

More than 7,000 students ages 4 to 18 are served each year at over 65 Houston area neighborhood parks and schools.

For more information visit http://gamesetmatchgala.com/

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

March 2024 Newsletter

From left: HTA Executive Director Emily Schaefer, President Lara Lehmann, League Coordinator Ann Wilde. Photo courtesy USTA Texas

USTA Texas presented the Houston Tennis Association with the Large CTA (Community Tennis Association) Award of the Year at its 2024 Awards Luncheon at the Omni Las Colinas Hotel in Irving in February.

In accepting the award, HTA President Lara Lehmann credited the many people who helped HTA earn this award.

“We are honored that USTA Texas chose to award Houston Tennis Association with the Large CTA of the Year Award. It is a testament to the hard working and dedicated staff, volunteers including team captains, board and committee members, Gala volunteers and supporters and the incredible members that HTA was recognized for all the good it does to promote tennis and all of those who play it in Houston.”

Over the last year, HTA has seen significant growth in its USTA League, Junior Team Tennis and NJTL programs. It has leveraged relationships with the U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championships, the University of Houston and other local businesses to make tennis more diverse and accessible. Notably, HTA is making a powerful investment in the future of Houston tennis, spending $160,000 to resurface all 26 courts at Lee LeClear Tennis Center, one of the city’s three major tennis facilities.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

February 2024 Newsletter

HTA welcomes two new members to its board and renews the services of three existing members

Becky Reger, left, and Jeri Brantley

Jeri Brantley and Rebecca Reger are the new members, and Ted Erck, Sarah Flood and Otis Sadler have extended their terms to three more years.

Jeri helps out at many of the HTA tournaments with scheduling, recording results and shepherding the players. She has been playing tennis for 18 years and plays five to six days a week. When she’s not on the court, she works as an accountant for Scandrill Inc.

Rebecca (Becky), who was born and raised in England, has been playing tennis since she was eight years old and competed competitively in regional and national tournaments until she was about 20. She’s certified as an Elite USPTA tennis professional and coaches tennis and pickleball at Lakeside Country Club. Becky, who has been legally blind in her left eye since 2016, has an avid interest in learning more about tennis for the visually impaired.

Ted, who started playing tennis at the age of 12, plays once or twice a week at the Houston Racquet Club. He and     his wife Dayna own Medical Profiles, Inc., which provides mobile health services to the Southeast Texas area. Ted, Dayna and son Peyton received USTA Texas Family of the Year Award in 2017.

Sarah plays tennis and pickleball but finds that her positions as director of junior tennis at the Houston Racquet Club, the USPTA Coach Developer for Texas and her USPTA board membership prevent her from playing as much as she would like. Sarah began playing tennis at age nine in England. She was recruited to play Division 1 college tennis at the University of Houston, she’s  been here ever since.

Otis, director of tennis at Lakeside Country Club, plays tennis one or two days a week and teaches six days a week. He started playing tennis at age 11. Otis has served on HTA’s Pros and Clubs committee and has been a volunteer with USTA Texas.

From left, Otis Sadler, Sarah Flood, Ted Erck

We asked a fantasy question of our new and renewing board members: If you could have lunch with any two professional tennis players (one male, one female, living or dead) whom would you choose? And where would you dine?  

Jeri would dine with Ons Jabeur and John Isner wherever they wanted to eat.

Becky said maybe Serena Williams and Andy Murray. But then again, she’d love to dine with Steffi Graf and Andre Agassi possibly at a swanky L.A. eatery or somewhere in Paris. Or quite simply, at a small hole-in-the-wall pub in England.

Ted would love to have lunch with Billie Jean King and Arthur Ashe at the Woody Creek Tavern in Aspen, Colo.

Sarah would dine with Steffi Graf and Andre Agassi at Fogo de Chao.

And Otis would like to dine with Patrick Rafter and Gabriella Sabatini at an ocean view restaurant in Australia.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

January 2024 Newsletter

Happy New Year!

HTA closed out 2023 in typical Texas fashion at the annual meeting of the membership December 13 at Pappas BBQ. The festive evening featured plates piled high with beef brisket, sausage, ham and traditional sides, prize drawings, a review of HTA’s successful year and introduction of the 2024 officers and new board members.

Joining the board this year are Jeri Brantley and Rebecca Reger for three-year terms, and returning to the board for new three-year terms are Ted Erck, Sarah Flood and Otis Sadler. Troy Toole will continue as pro advisor.

Outgoing board members recognized for their service were Steve Ash, Michael Clayborne, Eugene Lou, Yvette Simpson and Tu Tran.

Lara Lehmann continues as president for the new year, along with Vice Presidents Srimonto Ghosh and Caroline Champion, Treasurer William Mao, Secretary Claire Goosey and Executive Director Emily Schaefer.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

December 2023 Newsletter

Houston Tennis Association Year in Review
by HTA President Lara J. Lehmann

I have had the privilege of serving as the President of Houston Tennis Association (HTA) and am delighted to share that we had a productive year growing the game of tennis in the Houston area. In an effort to improve tennis for the public, HTA partnered with the Houston Parks and Recreation Department (HPARD) through a Memorandum of Understanding in which the HTA Board approved a $160,000 expenditure to pay for resurfacing all 26 courts at Lee LeClear Tennis Center in exchange for HPARD agreeing to resurface the courts at Homer Ford Tennis Center (HFTC). With Houston being the fourth largest city in the United States and home to the world’s largest medical complex– plus given the rich tennis history in Houston and the amazingly dedicated number of players it is home to, it only makes sense that we should have high quality tennis courts on which to play the game we love.

Speaking of dedicated tennis players, several league teams went to USTA Nationals this year representing Houston which means our leagues are doing well and our players are playing some great tennis! The HTA Leagues Committee did an almost yearlong rework of the HTA Rules to update the rules and hopefully make them clearer. Good sportsmanship remains a top priority for HTA. As Part 2 of The Code states in its Sportsmanship Policy: “Sportsmanship is the foundation of tennis. It is essential to tennis as a welcoming, open and inclusive sport. Sports integrity follows a boundless set of core values and attributes that enrich the lives of all who participate. These attributes include but are not limited to: Understanding and following the rules; Being fair; Acting with character; Respecting others; Winning with humility and losing with grace; Maintaining composure; Being accountable for one’s own actions; Giving others the benefit of the doubt.”

Making tennis inclusive of all people and players regardless of race, color, level, physical abilities or orientation is an important part of what we do. In conjunction with USTA Texas, HTA hosted an American Tennis Association (ATA) event at Memorial Park in which HTA Board Member Otis Sadler ran a day long clinic and play day for junior tennis players. The ATA is the oldest African American sports organization in the United States. HTA Board Members Sarah Flood and Troy Toole organized an LGBTQ event earlier this year called We Play for Pride Houston. The second annual event will be held next June.  A true champion of wheelchair and adaptive tennis, Cindy Benzon, was recognized for the amazing work she has done in this important and inspiring field plus her many other accomplishments by being inducted into the Texas Tennis Hall of Fame in November. Way to go Cindy!

The dedicated Gala Committee volunteers — for many of us it was our tenth year — along with Tennis Express put on yet another fun and financially successful Game Set Match Gala and Tennis Fashion Show this year in which Tommy Paul was the guest speaker and Rachel McNeill returned to Houston as Mistress of Ceremonies. Proceeds raised go to support the National Junior Tennis and Learning program in which thousands of children all over Houston can receive free tennis lessons, educational classes, and life skills learning at various Houston parks, schools and community centers.

HTA Leagues, Tournaments, Junior Team Tennis and Scholarships continued to thrive in 2023.  With a strong HTA staff in place and an energetic and dedicated Board of volunteers, the core programs should remain strong as we look for creative ways to enhance the player experience and expand the number of participants.

At this time of Thanksgiving and gathering of family and friends, I am so thankful for the HTA staff and volunteers who work tirelessly to make HTA the incredible organization it is. We will continue to work on making tennis fun, accessible and positive for all with a focus on maintaining and when possible, increasing the number of courts and tennis opportunities in our great city. Wishing everyone lots of good tennis in the New Year, and may we continue in good health to be able to play the most amazing sport that begins with “love all.”

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

November 2023 Newsletter

New Hall of Famer promotes game for all abilities

Cindy Benzon, Community Services Coordinator, Adaptive and Wheelchair Tennis for USTA Texas, will be inducted into the Texas Tennis Hall of Fame in Waco Saturday, November 11, along with three other Texans.

Cindy was at SMU attending the National Parks and Recreation Conference when the TTHofF called her about her new honor.

“I sat down and said to myself this is where it all started,” she said. I never dreamed when I moved to Texas to play for SMU (from her home state of Utah) that the majority of my tennis career would be in Texas, and I have SMU, Copperfield Racquet & Health Club, HTA and USTA Texas to thank for all the opportunities that they gave me to get to this point. I am very honored and humbled.”

When she moved to Houston in 1984 she first worked at Copperfield Racquet & Health Club.  In 2005 she joined USTA Texas as a Tennis Service Representative (TSR) on the community side of the business.

Cindy’s passion is to teach and cultivate players of all levels and abilities, growing the game at the grassroots level. She started working with people with disabilities in 1984.

“When I first started playing tennis, one of my coaches was in a wheelchair, and working with people with disabilities is my way of paying it forward to him,” she explained.

Writer and TTHoFamer Joyce Breslin catalogued Benzon’s contributions to tennis for the TTHofF Magazine:

Dr. Michael Cottingham, director of Adaptive Athletics at the University of Houston, says, “Without question we could not have accomplished our successful USTA and ITF wheelchair tennis tournaments, the ITF Junior Camp of the Americas and weekly practice time for adults and juniors without the support of Cindy Benzon.

“While her professional help has been amazing, her personal investment and commitment is far more important. She changes the lives of wheelchair tennis players, investing in their games and their quality of life. Wheelchair tennis, as well as the athletes who play it, are thriving in Texas because of Cindy.”

Then there’s Adaptive Tennis. The name Cindy Benzon is synonymous with Adaptive Tennis, and it would not exist or thrive in Texas without Cindy’s involvement, not because it was in her job description but because it is in her heart to serve those with disabilities. Her list of “firsts in Texas” is massive and includes:

•Start and sustain Blind and Visually Impaired tennis

•Start and sustain Standing Adaptive Tennis, bringing its TAP World Tour Tournaments to Houston and then Dallas

•Grow and sustain tennis for those with intellectual disabilities

•Developed and supported stroke survivors’ programs in multiple cities

•Created numerous veterans’ programs, clinics, playdays

•Special Olympics – changed the way SO athletes play the game and influenced the whole country, has been State Games tournament director for more than 15 years

•Assists and is active in the USTA National Adaptive Committee’s National Adaptive Championship Tournament

•Raised significant sums of money for USTA Texas to be able to support all this

The three other inductees are Ken Crawford, Laura Gilbert and Fernando Velasco.

Crawford, who died in 2008, had served as director of tennis at Ridglea Country Club in Fort Worth and head tennis coach at TCU, was one of the original founding fathers of the Fort Worth Tennis Association and also a professional tennis player.

Gilbert has played, coached and served tennis at every level, including reaching a ranking of No. 25 on the women’s professional tour. She founded the Southlake Tennis Association in 1993.

Velasco is executive director of Capital Area Tennis Association, a USPTA pro and holds national rankings in many divisions from open to 80 and over.  Currently he is No. 1 in Texas in the grandfather/grandson division.

October 2023 Newsletter

Gary Anderson, left, with Todd Carlson, Director of USTA Tennis Venue Services

USTA names Life Time Galleria a winner

Life Time Galleria Tennis and Athletic Club was among three winners in Texas in the USTA’s annual Outstanding Facility Awards program, which recognizes excellence in the construction and/or renovation of tennis facilities throughout the country.

Corpus Christi Country Club and Life Time Tennis Plano were the other Texas recipients. A total of 29 facilities received the award at the US Open in September.

Tennis Director Gary Anderson accepted the award for the club in New York and acknowledged that the award means a lot.

“Our mission statement says our goal is to have the best people, places and programs, and the award demonstrates that we have been successful and have the resources,” he said.

Facilities were judged on the following criteria: overall layout and adaptation to site; excellence of court surface and lights; ease of maintenance; accommodations for players, spectators and press/officials; aesthetics; graphics (including the use of signs and landscaping); amenities such as casual seating for spectators, food services and social areas; and the facilities’ participation in grassroots tennis programs.

Life Time encourages grassroots participation with its introductory “Play, Learn, Love” program, which offers beginners introductory access to the facilities and instruction.

In addition, the club invites charitable organizations, such as Serve Up a Cure and the United Way, to use their facilities for fundraising. Life Time also helps schools with their fundraising efforts.

The club has nine indoor tennis courts, a Life cafe, spa, premium cardio options, strength machines and free weights.

September 2023 Newsletter

Keeping Score in the Classroom

September means it’s back to school for our tennis-playing teachers. We salute the many who nurture and guide our youth on their paths to adulthood and personal responsibility. Featured are some of our local players and important members of our community.

Apples to all!

Crystal Fain

Crystal Spencer Fain had been Northbrook High School’s Dean of Instruction since 2022. Prior to that she was a math teacher and the tennis coach at Stratford High School since 2014.

Olga Catoni

Olga Catoni is assistant principal at Pin Oak Middle School. Her prior experience includes one year as Dean of Instruction and ten years of teaching 8th grade reading language arts and all subjects in the 5th grade. Olga says, “I am excited to see the kids and make great things happen.”

Melinda Herrick

Melinda Herrick teaches sculpture to 7th and 8th graders at the Presbyterian School. She has been teaching for 46 years. “Scary,” she says, “but I love kids, art and tennis.”

Stacy Tea

Stacy Tea is a 1st grade teacher at Austin Parkway Elementary in Fort Bend ISD. “This will be my 18th year teaching. Every year I introduce my students to the sport of tennis while incorporating phonics skills. I look forward to seeing my former students in the hallway and getting to know my 37 new students and families!”

Carol Andrews

Carol Andrews is assistant tennis coach at Memorial High School.

Holly Hayes

Holly Hayes has been teaching 9th grade world geography for four years at James E. Taylor.

Linnie Ford

Linnie Ford teaches 1st grade math/science at Malala Yousafzai Elementary School in FBISD. This is her 23rd year of teaching. “I enjoying going back to school because it is an opportunity to build relationships, try out new ideas and teach my little learners how to grow and stretch their brains more than they thought possible!” 

Karen Staley

Karen Staley teaches 6th grade and PreAp Biology at Fort Settlement Middle School. “This is my 27th year, and I love being in the classroom now as much as I did my first year.  Getting to teach science, run science competitions and work with young people is a joy.  I also had the blessing of coaching tennis for over 24 years to many amazing, talented young men and ladies.  My school is a wonderful place with wonderful admin and colleagues, and that has always added to the love I have for my job!”

Matt McDonald

Matt McDonald, who teaches 10th grade world history at Pearland High School, reports that returning to school is always an exciting adjustment from summer tennis. “There’s an air of excitement and electricity from all the players getting to show off their cutting-edge summer skills at tryouts and preseason matches. Players and coaches are quickly reminded what it means to balance both education and athletics. We all learn to manage those two full-time jobs together, and knowing we’ve got a year of great tennis ahead creates a strong bond and love for our sport.”

Aleta Cole

Aleta Cole, who plays HTA league women’s doubles and mixed doubles, teaches orchestra and piano at Lanier Middle School and coaches the Lanier tennis team. She reports “I’m really excited to meet my new and returning students this year and make some beautiful music in our classes.  I also enjoy getting to meet the tennis players in my school and seeing them have fun playing tennis.”

Cori Pool, left, and Jordan McCombs

Cousins Jordan McCombs and Cori Pool will share coaching duties at Clear Lake High School. Both played college tennis and represented and won the women’s 5.0+ Texas team in 2013. This is their first year to coach together.

Kelly Exner

Kelly Exner is taking a break from teaching at Dulles High School to stay home with her 19-month-old daughter. She taught 8th and 10th grade geometry and algebra for ten years at Dulles, where she was a graduate in 2008. She was Teacher of the Year in 2018 and also coached volleyball, basketball and softball.

Marianne Bianchi

Marianne Bianchi has been teaching for 17 years and seven years as a coach. This is her first year at Stratford High School (after teaching in Katy) and she is looking forward to really getting to know her new group of kids and to having a great year.

Kristin Kloss teaches third grade at Williams Elementary School in Katy ISD.

Ron Walker teaches entrepreneurship and is head tennis coach at Glenda Dawson High School in Pearland ISD.

August 2023 Newsletter

It’s hot out there!

Houston’s red hot summer presents an extra challenge to players practicing or competing outdoors this year.

It’s important to follow cooling and hydration tips offered by the experts who recommend:

• Stay hydrated and drink before you are thirsty
  • Play in breathable clothing
  • Start out slowly and acclimate
  • Cool down with ice packs

During the June We Play for Pride tournament at Memorial Park Tennis Center, organizers Sarah Flood and Troy Toole made sure participants had plenty of water, ice and drinks with electrolytes available. Sessions were timed at 40 minutes, with 10 to 15 minute breaks in between.

Sarah iced down wash rags and handed them out to the players during the breaks.

We queried several players to find out how the heat is affecting their activities.

League Captain Betty Moyer, whose teams play at night, reports “no problems with the heat.”

Captain Melanie Steele, whose Memorial Park league play ended June 23 and will resume  mid-August, has booked courts indoors at AD-IN tennis for her personal play time during the interim.

HTA Board Member Margaret Graham, who plays doubles casually with friends, started the summer on the Memorial Park courts in the evening, then moved to slightly cooler morning action at the Houston Racquet Club. Then two of her regular partners were told by their doctors not to play in this heat, and Margaret has switched to indoor tennis at Lifetime Galleria.

For League play, HTA adheres to USTA’s extreme weather policy for heat and cold weather conditions for tournaments.

HEAT INDEX GUIDELINES

For tournaments with a heat index of 100° or greater, best two-out-of-three sets with deciding 10-point match tiebreak may be used. In this case, players will NOT receive a 10-minute break between sets.

The USTA Sports Science Committee offers some guidelines to players for coping with the heat.

July 2023 Newsletter

Courts 11-26, Photos Courtesy American Sports Courts, LLC

Lee LeClear TC gets a “face-lift”

“Tennis has seen significant growth in the past two years, and we wanted to improve the tennis experience for Houston area players,” HTA Executive Director Emily Schaefer, said.

All 26 courts at Lee LeClear Tennis Center were resurfaced this spring, thanks to a $160,000 investment by the Houston Tennis Association.

“As an organization, HTA desires to host tennis tournaments and events that make the city proud, but the courts were in need of resurfacing,” she noted.

“It seemed a good use of funds to contribute to the courts—for our league players, tournament players, youth programs and to demonstrate our collaboration with the City of Houston Parks and Recreation Department. We paid for the work at Lee LeClear with the understanding that HPARD will be resurfacing the courts at Homer Ford Tennis Center in the near future,” Schaefer continued.

The courts were resurfaced by American Sports Courts, LLC. The surface is Plexipave, and the coloring is blue, the previous color. The courts were last resurfaced in 2016.

Before resurfacing

June 2023 Newsletter

HTA has distributed college scholarships totaling $29,500 to 14 greater Houston area high school graduates.

The students received sums from $1,000 to $2,500. In addition to HTA contributions, funds have been provided by the Steve Wolford Memorial Scholarship Fund, Graselli Foundation-Harry Fowler Scholarship Fund, West Houston Ladies Tennis Association, HTA/NJTL (National Junior Tennis and Learning) with support from Fayez Sarofim & Co. U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championship, National Senior Women’s Clay Court Championships, the Chuck and Roberta LeMaster Scholarship, Paul Christian Memorial Scholarship and the Harriett Hulbert Memorial Scholarship.

Students who received the grants and their high schools and college destinations are Valeska Alvarado (Spring Woods, Austin College); Teymur Azimov (Cinco Ranch, University of Houston); Taryn Bathurst (Kingwood, University of Mary Hardin-Baylor); Kelsey Cornell (Magnolia, Texas A&M); Jimena Escamilla-Reyes (Milby, Wellesley College); Henry Haskin (Klein, University of Texas at Austin); Zakharias Joseph (Clear Springs, University of Texas at San Antonio); Ayush Kothari (Memorial, UT Austin); Evan Muckleroy (Ridge Point, University of Arkansas); Charlotte O’Hair (Cypress Creek, UT Austin); Eliana Remtulla (Clear Falls, UT Austin); Sydnee Strohm (Cinco Ranch, UT Austin); Tanner Tran (Glenda Dawson, UT Austin); and Charlize Wilson (George Ranch, Texas State University).

All 14 students played either varsity tennis for their high school teams, participated in NJTL and/or in local USTA tournaments.

The HTA has awarded more than $415,000 in scholarship funds to deserving high school seniors since 1992.

May 2023 Newsletter

A League Captain Appreciation Play Day is planned for May 20 at Memorial Park. Captains will receive an email with details.

Celebrate National Tennis Month this May

National Tennis Month is a nationwide grassroots effort driven by the United States Tennis Association and its industry partners celebrating tennis, a sport which challenges one both physically and mentally. For 31 straight days, players, local coaches, facilities, retailers, tennis manufacturers and more will be driving awareness about the sport and its benefits by bringing existing and new players to the game with special events, promotions and play opportunities in their communities … many of them free.

Tennis participation has seen significant growth over the past two years, with people turning to the sport to stay physically fit in a safe manner. According to the latest Physical Activity Council’s participation report, more than 23.6 million people hit the tennis courts in 2022.  That number represents a 33% increase since the start of 2020, with 5.9 million more players picking up a racquet. In addition, according to multiple sources and studies, tennis has been shown to have a significant positive impact on the health of participants. Tennis players on average lived an additional 9.7 years more than sedentary individuals.

“The increase in tennis participation for the third year in a row is not only important for the health of our sport, but also for the health and well-being of those who have made the game a part of their lives,” said Brian Hainline, Chairman of the Board and President, USTA. “Tennis has a multitude of benefits, ranging from the mental to the physical, and we are excited to help lead the continued growth of a sport that helps players of all ages and ability levels stay active and healthy.”

April 2023 Newsletter

April promises to be a big tournament month and both a spectator and player paradise.

Graphic courtesy Fayez Sarofim & Co. U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championships

The month begins with the Fayez Sarofim & Co. U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championships at the River Oaks Country Club, then segues into the city’s premier local tournament, the HTA RBC Wealth Management Houston Open, April 7-10.

In addition, the USTA National Senior Women’s Clay Court Championships will wrap up its week-long competition at the Houston Racquet Club on the first weekend in April.

The player entry list for the Men’s Clay Court includes five Americans who are ranked among the top 50 players as well as two former champions. The Americans are led by a pair of 25-year-olds who are ranked in the Top 20, No. 16 Frances Tiafoe and No. 19 Tommy Paul.

Former champions John Isner of the United States (2013) and Cristian Garin (2019) of Chile have also entered.

This is the seventh year that RBC Wealth Management has sponsored the HTA Houston Open, which offers more than 50 singles, doubles and mixed events for adults, seniors and super seniors. A wheelchair division has been added this year.

“RBC Wealth Management is committed to supporting the communities where we live and work, which is why we’ve been proud sponsors of the Houston Tennis Association for seven years,” Steven A. Herzog, RBC Senior Vice President, said.

“HTA’s advocacy and promotion of amateur tennis, as well as its charitable programs, have impacted so many here in Houston. We are honored to be the title sponsor of the 2023 Houston Open on April 7-10. Best of luck to all the players!”

About RBC Wealth Management: RBC Wealth Management has provided trusted advice and world-class wealth solutions to individuals, families and institutions for more than a century. As part of Royal Bank of Canada (RBC), we support the complex needs of high-net-worth and institutional clients through private banking, credit, investment management, asset management and other services. 

In the United States, RBC Wealth Management has $510 billion in total client assets with more than 2,100 financial advisors operating in 187 locations in 42 states. RBC Wealth Management, a division of RBC Capital Markets, LLC, registered investment adviser and Member NYSE/FINRA/SIPC. Learn more at rbcwm.com

March 2023 Newsletter

From left: Former HTA Executive Director Cheryl Hultquist, HTA Executive Director Emily Schaefer, President Lara Lehmann, Past President Douglas Pritchett and USTA Texas Awards Chair Sharon Chapple. Photo courtesy USTA Texas

HTA and members earned multiple awards…

at the USTA Texas Section annual meeting in Irving, Texas, in February.

Top honor was being named the Member Organization of the Year. Accepting the award were HTA President Lara Lehmann, former President Doug Pritchett, Executive Director Emily Schaefer and former Executive Director Cheryl Hultquist.

In addition, Lois Canady of Houston and Tony DeSantis of Missouri City received the Senior Spirit of Tennis Awards, given to one male and one female for their participation in tournaments and leagues and for exhibiting the qualities of sportsmanship, enthusiasm, conditioning and resourcefulness.

HTA Board Members Otis Sadler and Sarah Flood, both of Houston, received awards from the United States Professional Tennis Association Texas Division at the same meeting. Sadler was named the USPTA Texas Pro of the Year and Flood the USPTA Texas Diversity Coach of the Year. Hiram Gonzalez of Sugar Land, director of racquets and athletics at Sweetwater Country Club, received the USPTA Texas Industry Excellence Award.

Photo courtesy USTA Texas

February 2023 Newsletter

We love tennis and send valentines to our favorite sport, because it keeps rewarding us for our participation.

According to multiple sources and studies, the USTA reports that tennis has been shown to have a significant positive impact on the health of participants. Included in the effects:

• Tennis players on average lived an additional 9.7 years than sedentary individuals.
  • The 9.7 additional years for tennis players ranked highest among all sports included within the study, beating out soccer by 5 years (4.7), cycling by 6 years (3.7), swimming by 6.3 years (3.4) and jogging by 6.5 years (3.2).
  • Participation in racquet sports, including tennis, reduces the risk of all-cause mortality by 47 percent and cardiovascular-related death by 56 percent.

More and more people are becoming cognizant of these health and well-being benefits.

The USTA also announced that in 2022, tennis participation increased for the third consecutive year in the United States. Tennis participation grew by one million players last year with more than 23.6 million people playing the sport. This number, when added to the previous two years, represents an increase of 5.9 million, or 33 percent, since the start of 2020. This information was compiled by the Tennis Industry Association.

“The increase in tennis participation for the third year in a row is not only important for the health of our sport, but also for the health and well-being of those who have made the game a part of their lives,” said Dr. Brian Hainline, Chairman of the Board and President, USTA. “Tennis has a multitude of benefits, ranging from the mental to the physical, and we are excited to help lead the continued growth of a sport that helps players of all ages and ability levels stay active and healthy.”

January 2023 Newsletter

Changing of the Guard

A festive crowd welcomed new HTA board members and officers and saluted the retiring board members at the HTA Annual Meeting and Holiday Party in December at the brand spanking new and larger Tennis Express on Westpark.

Lara Lehmann succeeds outgoing president Douglas Pritchett. She is joined on the Board of Directors by Vice Presidents Srimonto Ghosh and Caroline Champion; Treasurer William Mao; Secretary Claire Goosey and Executive Director Emily Schaefer.

New board members are Ray Achilefu, Tina Beddow, Rick Cannon, Marcelle Ho, Sharon Kirchoff, Samantha Savage (returning) and Sara Sommers.  Troy Toole returns as Pro Advisor for 2023.

Retiring board members Mary Beth Flaherty, Pat Gardner Young, Bronwyn Greer, Preston Pinto and Haley Wallace were recognized for their service.

Special thanks was given to Brad Blume and the Tennis Express staff, Prima Pasta for its delicious buffet and to all the HTA members.

December 2022 Newsletter

The year, 2022, it turns out, has been a pretty good year for tennis.

Participants increased, and the industry continues to grow. Among the highlights: The U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championships returned to River Oaks Country Club. Guests at the Game Set Match Gala were treated to an intimate interview with Frances Tiafoe, now one of the country’s hottest players. In Houston players can participate in tournaments almost every week, and HTA league numbers continue to increase. Seven of our local league teams made it to national competitions.

A huge thank-you to all for supporting tennis. Bravo!

November 2022 Newsletter

Tennis Express moves and expands

Rendering of the new store on Westpark

Time to change your GPS coordinates if headed to Tennis Express. Houston’s flagship  superstore moved to 10771 Westpark, located near the Westpark Tollway and Beltway 8,  and doubled its size over the summer.

The expanded superstore brings new offerings to local and online racquet sports enthusiasts – including a broader selection of athletic apparel, innovative racquet sports products, more in-stock inventory and greater savings to their loyal customers.

The 90,000+ square foot building boasts 15,000 square feet of retail space complete with six spacious dressing rooms, a designated area for shoes and racquets, and a full-size indoor tennis court, which will be used to demo tennis racquets and host special in-store events. The remaining square footage consists of corporate offices and warehouse space used to process the thousands of online orders per day.

Tennis Express has added an express entrance for online in store pick-ups as well as drop off/pick up of racquets for stringing.

Phase One of the current construction is set to wrap up by late November, and installation of pickleball and padel courts on the mezzanine will begin in spring 2023.

Over the course of 20 years, Tennis Express has evolved from a small 300 square foot apartment into a thriving specialty retailer serving customers on a local and national level. It was founded by Brad Blume and his partner, the late Sean Rudolph, out of their love for the game. “We founded Tennis Express with the vision to inspire players and support the tennis communities we serve,” said Blume.

Houston Business Journal named Tennis Express as one of Houston’s Fastest Growing Companies in 2021 and 2022. As a dominant online presence, Tennis Express leads the industry in racquet sports – selling tennis gear, shoes and apparel as well as pickleball shoes, paddles, gear and more. The company is proud of its generous free shipping policy and its number one priority of providing customer satisfaction.

Tennis Express supports the tennis community by partnering with a variety of tournaments and organizations, including HTA, NJTL, HLTA, WHLTA, USTA and area schools, as well as non-profit organizations such as Breast Cancer Awareness groups and RecycleBalls.org, a program that collects and converts used tennis balls into recycled materials.

The company invites sports enthusiasts to come visit their new store, open seven days a week.

October 2022 Newsletter

Three local 18 & over league teams won their Sectional battles and will advance to National competition in Surprise, Arizona.

The Houston Zealots 3.5 men’s team, captained by Eric Storey, is already in Surprise for the September 30-October 2 competition.

The women’s 4.0 Lord of the Strings, captained by Blakeley Thomas, and the Women’s 4.5 LLTC (GNO) teams, captained by Thy Regent, go to Surprise in October.

USTA Texas and HTA supports each team with financial stipends.

Storey said “This is the Houston Zealots first-ever trip to Nationals. Jeff Hechler is the only member who has ever experienced Nationals.  He was with the Houston Hurricanes team which won Nationals.  The rest of us are rookies.”

Fourteen of the 15 roster members will be making the trip — Storey, co-captain Chris Trevino, Hechler. David Mandell, Anurag Srivastava, Kareem Wahid, Caton Fenz, Ivan Rodriguez, Tyler Osterhaus, Keith Coty, Sasan Ziatabar, Rich Sexton, Elie Meyer, and Flavio Suguimitzu. Parth Singh is the only roster member not available to attend Nationals.

The team went undefeated in Sectionals, beating Corpus Christi and Wild San Antonio on Friday, San Angelo and Austin on Saturday, Amarillo in the semifinals, and Austin again in the finals in dramatic fashion, needing a third-set tiebreaker on doubles lines 1 and 2.

Storey admits that it’s hard to put into words the level of the team’s excitement.

“I guess off the charts would be the best way to put it,” he said.

“We have purchased shirts with our logo, name and wars color (Texas is lavender this year) as well as quarter zips celebrating our Sectionals triumph. We will be renting an AirBNB house in Surprise where we will all stay. This promotes team chemistry and camaraderie…We just really enjoy hanging out with one another, and we just happen to love tennis too! We have been practicing at least three times a week since Sectionals, and our games are ready for our Nationals experience.”

Starting on the left (orange shirt) Tyler Osterhaus, Kareem Wahid (gray shirt), co-captain Chris Trevino (red shirt), Captain Eric Storey (black shirt), Sasan Ziatabar, Caton Fenz (last on the right of 1st row), 2nd row from left (blue shirt) Rich Sexton, Jeff Hechler (cowboy hat), Flavio Suguimitzu (white shirt), Anurag Srivastava (behind Flavio in the red hat), Keith Coty (arms raised in back), David Mandell (red shirt), Ivan Rodriguez

Blakeley’s 4.0 Lord of the Strings players are excited to represent not only Texas, but specifically Houston, in the Nationals. 

“We have been training with drills and round robin practices gearing up in hopes to bring the National title home,” she said.

“It has been an honor to captain this team for the 2022 summer season,” she continued. “Each of my players has demonstrated the true meaning of supporting one another, loving the game of tennis and having the heart and the fight in each of them to be where we are today.  I’m truly proud of each member of the team and can’t wait to make Houston proud at the National tournament.

This is the first year this team has been to Nationals.  Kristy Kirkman and Shirley Soewito attended Nationals in 2014 on another team.

The Lord of the Strings earned their trip to Nationals by beating Wild Dallas in the semifinals and then Dallas in the finals of Sectionals.

“This was a huge WIN because we were the wildcard team selected for the finals,” Blakely said.

From the top down (left to right): Cecilia Brookshier, Abby Dennett, Alexandra Yudelevich, Maria Graterol, Kristy Kirkman, Amanda Hudson, Kathryn Baumeister, and Shirley Soewito; Row two: Sarah Altus, Blakeley Thomas, Liana Gonzalez, Susan Leblanc; Row three: Sydney Shatz, Catie Ramage, Kimberley Nguy

Regent’s 4.5 LLTC—Girls Night Out team will be making its first trip to Nationals, although there are several veteran national players on the team.

Making the trip to Surprise with Regent will be Candice Wright, Alex Kornajcik, Kimberly Elliott, Crystal Fain, Amanda Lenss, Allison Lui, Jennifer Chien, Stephanie Dudzinski, Emma Nguyen, Kristin Barnes and Hannah Watson.

Regent has captained several teams over the years, but this particular team was formed more or less in 2017-18, with the majority of the current players joining in the spring of 2021, when league resumed after the COVID shutdown, Regent reports.

The team earned its national trip by beating San Antonio, NETX and Austin and Dallas in the Sectional finals.

Regent reports that the team is “So into it! I wouldn’t be surprised if we sweat lavender from our pores in Arizona.”

Back row, from left: Amanda Lenss, Kimberly Elliott, Hannah Watson, Crystal Fain, Candice Wright; Front row, left: Thy Regent, Allison Lui, Jennifer Chien, Emma Nguyen, Alex Kornajcik. Not pictured: Anna Schraer, Stephanie Dudzinski, Kristin Barnes, Grace Kownslar, Samantha Kennedy                                                              Photos Courtesy USTA Texas

September 2022 Newsletter

Missouri City Recreation and Tennis Center is the recipient of the 2022 Outstanding Facility Award from The United States Tennis Association. This honor recognizes exemplary facilities committed to the development and growth of tennis in the community. 

Cristina Escamos and Jason Mangum

Cristina Escamos, director of tennis, and Jason Mangum, director of the center, accepted the award in August at the Outstanding Facility Awards Luncheon in Mason, Ohio, during the 2022 Western & Southern Open tournament.

Escamos was still savoring the trip to the tournament and the excitement of winning the award when we visited the facility.

“First-time visitors think they have entered a private country club instead of a public facility,” she beamed, as she showed us around the sparkling center.

“We host many different events including 40+ Adult Sectionals, USTA and HTA sanctioned tournaments, adult teams that play in local and USTA and HTA leagues, multiple in-house leagues, numerous other local school tennis events and social-play events, as well as conducting outreach program through Adaptive Tennis with The Arc Fort Bend County,” she explained.

Missouri City Recreation and Tennis Center first opened in the summer of 2012 with 12 lighted outdoor courts, a practice court with backboard, canopy covered bench seating and the added amenities of a fully equipped fitness room, showers and lockers for players, a basketball gym, pickleball courts and meeting rooms.  

The friendly and family atmosphere at the facility creates a welcoming and inclusive environment for all participants and visitors.

Staff at MCRTC, from left, T.W. Dieckmann, Staci Silva, Daniele Stewart, Emerson Yellen, Cristina Escamos, Josh Rodrique, Jason Mangum, Allison Vickery, Adam Lofters

August 2022 Newsletter

August 21 is Senior Citizen’s Day, and we’re celebrating our tennis playing senior citizens this month. We salute these men and women who prove that “tennis is a lifetime sport.”

Meet four of the super active local players who have learned how to gracefully convert their youthful power, speed and stamina into games of finesse and strategy.

Ray Roberson, 80, has been an HTA captain since 1985 and plays at least three times a week, either recreationally or in league play.

His team currently plays out of Lee LeClear Tennis Center, and Ray always makes sure that he has enough courts available for teammates to play on even if they’re not on the current night’s line-up.

Ray started playing tennis in his high school in Indiana, continuing to this day. He found being a captain expanded his abilities in administration and that tennis increased his social contacts and bettered his health.

“I’ve learned to organize my time,” Ray said. “and even have had time to become an author. He has written two volumes on the U.S. presidents titled “Presidential Maxims.”

Betty Moyer, 81 years young, has been playing league, tournament and recreational tennis for more than 40 years, joining USTA and league play in Denver, Colo., in 1981.

When she moved to Sugar Land in 1983, finding a league was one of her top priorities, and she quickly began USTA, HTA and WHLTA participation. She has captained the same Tuesday night team for 30 years.

Betty proclaims that “I love tennis more than any other sport that I’ve ever participated in.  It is my GO TO and MY LOVE!, as well as being very therapeutic for me.

“Some of my favorite experiences have been playing in the Senior Women’s Clay Court tournaments.”

She describes her current game as about the same as it was 20 years ago, except a little slower.

“I have added a backhand slice and a wicked underhand serve that helps a great deal as I slow down,” she commented.

(Photo: Betty on the right with frequent partner Sandy Baddeaux)

Ann Eaton, 75, was competing in a tournament in Florida when we reached out to her. She plays about three times a week and is a league and a tournament player at Homer Ford and Memorial Park tennis centers and Life Time and Chancellors clubs.

Ann has been playing tennis for 65 years and notes that “I love tennis because of the people I have met and the fun I have playing the game and also the calmness I feel.  It gives me peace. I also teach tennis, and that is fun to see people happy when they can play the game.  Such joy!” (Eaton, left, with Cheryl Pernell, at 2018 ATA Championships.} 

Ann celebrated being “young again” as a first-year entrant in the 75 age division at the USTA Senior Women’s Clay Court Championships at the Houston Racquet Club this year by winning a silver ball as a finalist.

Tony De Santis is 82 years young and tries to play tennis two to three times a week.

“The other nights I work out at the gym to stay fit.”

Tony plays recreational tennis one night a week and the other nights competitively in either HTA or USTA leagues, playing out of the Missouri City Recreation & Tennis Center. All his teams are named “Quail Valley Aces.”

“I love the USTA leagues because they give us a chance to play at Sectionals in the over 40, 55 and 65 brackets and then advance to national events,” Tony said.

Tony’s team went to Nationals in January for the over 65 bracket, and he hopes to repeat this year’s local and Sectional wins to qualify for Nationals again.

“I have taken teams to Nationals five times so far and hope to keep that number growing.

“My days of playing singles are pretty much over, so I concentrate on doubles. I play the game because it is great exercise and because it allows me to meet new people and keep in touch with friends of many years.”

Tony, who has been playing tennis for 40 years, volunteers on a USTA Texas committee explaining that “I feel that I need to do all I can to grow the sport.”

Roberson, Moyer, Eaton and De Santis represent just a sliver of the senior players who take advantage of the benefits offered by an active tennis life.  They keep themselves young by moving, sweating, meeting new people, learning new shots, winning and losing with grace and remembering what George Bernard Shaw advised “We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.”

July 2022 Newsletter

Meet the 2022 HTA scholarship recipients

From left: Isaac Harris, Alison Chen, Ashley Wolf, Jonathan Lin, Andrea Erkal, Aidan Garcia, Briana Valentin

HTA’s traditional scholarship luncheon, where we host the high school graduates who have qualified for our college scholarships, was interrupted by COVID-19 in 2020 and 2021. Despite the interruption we awarded $39,500 to 33 students those two years. This year we gave $23,000 to 18 recipients.

We’re happy to report that we resumed our annual gathering at Beck’s Prime in Memorial Park this June. Not all of the students could attend because of family vacations, college orientations, work schedules and other conflicts, but we met with seven of the 18 students, along with some of the parents and our generous donors.

Student studies will range from the medical field to journalism to computer science and diplomacy. They all have different talents, abilities and family backgrounds but share this common trait—a love for tennis.

Here are their stories:

Aidan Garcia, Pearland HS, Yale University

Describes himself as band nerd and a varsity athlete who plans to study medicine.

“Music taught me how to effectively memorize sets of data. Tennis taught me how to quiet my mind during intense situations.”

Alison Chen, Bridgeland HS, Texas A&M University

“I aspire to major in psychology at Texas A&M and graduate in four years to attend dental school. This scholarship will give me the opportunity to focus on being a well-rounded college student.” She is a varsity team member and super championship player.

Andrea Erkal, Carnegie Vanguard HS, University of California-San Diego

“First and foremost I am a tennis player. Tennis is always a sport that will be part of me—especially when my hair becomes gray and poaching at the net becomes my secret talent.” She will major in neurobiology, is an Academic Honor Roll member and has been on the varsity team for four years

Jonathan Lin, Katy Taylor HS, California Institute of Technology

He will study AI technology and computer science at Cal Tech and has already created several innovative programs. “I know that I’m only a high school student, and I’ve only done so much. But I wish to use HTA’s scholarship and Cal  Tech’s world-renowned resources to continue building technology that continues to positively impact my peers and the world.”

Jonathan and his younger sister Ally Lin were named to this year’s Houston’s Chronicle All-Greater Houston Mixed Doubles Team.

Briana Valentin, MacArthur HS, University of Houston

“My goal is to study pre-med and hopefully enter nursing school.” She graduated in the top 15 percent of her class and worked hard to earn a spot on the varsity tennis team when a junior. Her coach described her as the definition of hard work and determination.

Lael Martinez, J. Frank Dobie HS, Texas State University

Lael plans to earn a degree in exercise science and a masters in kinesiology with a long-term goal of becoming an orthopedic physician. In addition to serving as the team co-captain, he held the No. 2 boys singles position and the No. 1 boys doubles position, was a member of the National French Society, received both the Presidential Award and the American Citizenship Award and was a member of the school’s marching and concert band and a community volunteer.

Raina Parikh, Stephen F. Austin HS, University of Texas at Austin

Four-year varsity tennis player, two-year captain, 20 6A UIL All-District player, voted best captain across all athletics, member of student-athlete leadership team. A teacher said, “I am confident that Raina will not just blend into the sea of students on campus but will stand out as an active leader in some capacity.  Raina possesses the characteristics that make her an invaluable addition to the culture of excellence found at any selective university.”

Arthur Galvan III, MacArthur HS, University of Houston

“Tennis has helped me grow as a person. Tennis is a life sport.  You have to breathe it, take it in and live with it every day…Off the court, it prepares you for losing, winning, having good sportsmanship and learning to take criticism or advice from others around you.”  He plans to be a Pediatrician’s Physician Assistant with a major in health.

Ashley Wolf, Stratford HS, Trinity University

“Receiving a scholarship from an organization associated with a sport that has helped shape me into the woman I’ve become would be an absolute honor and would affirm my dedication and love for tennis.” I will pursue my dreams of becoming a professional engineer and artist.

Cadence Garcia, Heights HS, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi

Will be the first in her family to attend a four-year college after high school graduation. Her goal is to become a nurse and to continue serving the community around her when going to college. “I always strive to make a positive impact wherever I go, and I can’t wait to have the privilege to do so in college. There is no amount of money that can buy integrity, diligence and pride, but money can buy me an education.”

Isaac Harris, Lamar HS, Texas A&M University-HCC

Isaac, who has participated in NJTL for many years, plans to earn an engineering degree at Texas A&M University.  His extracurricular activities include Boy Scouts, Honor Society community services, international high school Jewish Choir and high school robotics team, which has qualified for World. “Tennis not only keeps me physically fit but boosts my brain power and has kept me mentally fit for school.”

Julian Galvan, Milby, University of Houston

“Throughout my whole life money management in this household has been a problem and majoring in business will allow me to learn those money management skills I so eagerly desire. Pursuing this major will not only allow me to tackle the very issues that hurt my family, but I will also acquire the necessary skills to allow me to help other struggling families.

Megan Rodriquez, J. Frank Dobie HS, Texas A&M University

Has been accepted into A&M engineering school where she will create eco-friendly projects to improve the environment and community. Academically ranked 25 out of 977 students. Member of Dobie HS Chamber Orchestra, 1st chair, 2nd violinist, member of Bay Area Youth Symphony, dancer, captain of girls team.

“Tennis is a very time-consuming sport, but I have learned to adapt to my schedule to be successful. A lot of sacrifices are required, but my love of sport keeps me going. Outside the courts and school I love helping people…either through volunteer work or just helping a friend do their homework I will gladly take time to assist.”

Liska Knight, Seven Lakes HS, Westmont College

“My goal will be to graduate with a degree in political science and then pursue a graduate degree in international relations at Columbia University. While there are five tracks within international relations, I plan to focus on a career as a public diplomacy officer. Becoming a public diplomacy officer would encompass many things I love–traveling, listening to others, speaking my opinion and learning about other cultures around the world.”

Diego Guzman, Pearland HS, University of St. Thomas

“This scholarship will motivate me to continue working hard in school and in tennis by serving almost as a reward for what I have accomplished so far.” He has been playing tennis for over eight years and has volunteered with the Houston Food Bank and Sagemont Church.

Kanari Hirano, Memorial HS, Purdue

Kanari, who will study cybersecurity at Purdue, says “Cybersecurity is crucial in society today, and my goal is to create an impenetrable network and security system by protecting and securing devices so no hackers can get past them.” He is the varsity team co-captain and the team’s stringer. His tennis coach describes him as “meeting the challenge of demanding extracurricular activities with hard work, dedication and responsibility.”

Vitia Chacon, Stephen F. Austin HS (Houston), Houston Community College

Vitia fell in love with tennis in her sophomore year in high school and progressed enough to win second place in a district tournament and become captain of the girls team. She aspires to play tennis professionally. Her teachers praise her for her inquisitiveness, exceptional student leadership and diligent work habits. She is also an artist and sold several of her paintings at the student art auction.

Katrina Machetta, Klein Collins HS, University of Pennsylvania

In addition to being in the top 1 percent of her class and the school’s Most Valuable Tennis Player for the year, Katrina is also a poet and an editor and will enter Pennsylvania’s College of Arts & Science. One teacher described her as having many interests beyond academics. “She is extremely passionate about helping the environment and raising awareness about the many injustices that exist in this world. She chooses to look at these issues with a solution-oriented mindset and works diligently to educate others about said issues in hopes that we can heal and grow together.”

HTA and HTA NJTL provided funds for the scholarships with additional contributions from the Graselli Foundation-Harry Fowler, Victoria and Kendall Jaeger, the Fayez Sarofim U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championships, RBC Wealth Management, Steve Wolford College Scholarship Fund, National Senior Women’s Clay Court Championships, West Houston Ladies Tennis Association and the LeMaster Husband-Wife Tennis Tournament. Scholarships also were given in memory of Charles Hoover and Paul Christian. Since 1992 HTA has contributed $385,500 to deserving high school seniors.

June 2022 Newsletter

Job Opportunity

HTA CTA Intern Job Description 2022

From left:  Lael Martinez, Katrina Machetta, Julian Galvan

HTA awards $23,000 in scholarship funds to 18 students

The Houston Tennis Association has distributed college scholarships totaling $23,000 to 18 greater Houston area high school graduates.

The students received sums from $500 to $2,000. In addition to HTA contributions, funds have been provided by the HTA/NJTL (National Junior Tennis and Learning), the National Senior Women’s Clay Court Championships, the Steve Wolford Memorial Scholarship Fund, West Houston Ladies Tennis Association, RBC Wealth Management, Graselli Foundation-Harry Fowler Scholarship Fund, Victoria and Kendall Jaeger, LeMaster Tennis Tournament, Paul Christian Memorial Fund, Charles Hoover Memorial Fund and the Fayez Sarofim & Co. U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championship.

Students who received the grants and their high schools and college destinations are Katrina Machetta (Klein Collins, U. of Pennsylvania); Lael Martinez (J. Frank Dobie, Texas State); Cadence Garcia (Heights, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi); Isaac Harris (Lamar, Texas A&M-HCC); Arthur Galvan III (MacArthur, U of Houston); Julian Galvan (Milby, U of Houston); Jonathan Lin (Katy Taylor, California Institute of Technology); Briana Valentin (MacArthur, U of Houston); Aidan Garcia (Pearland, Yale); Megan Rodriguez (J. Frank Dobie, Texas A&M); Vitia Chacon (Stephen F. Austin, HCC); Ashley Wolf (Stratford, Trinity); Liska Knight (Seven Lakes, Westmont College); Diego Guzman (Pearland, U of St. Thomas); Kinari Hirano (Memorial, Purdue); Andrea Erkal Carnegie Vanguard, U of California-San Diego); Raina Parikh (Stephen F. Austin, Sugar Land, UT Austin); and Alison Chen (Bridgeland, Texas A&M).

All 18 students played either varsity tennis for their high school teams, participated in NJTL and/or in local USTA tournaments.

The HTA has awarded more than $385,500 in scholarship funds to deserving high school seniors since 1992.

May 2022 Newsletter

Tennis is for everyone.

Anyone can tennis. And we’re here to help you have the most fun possible at whatever level your game is at.
From against the wall style to turning up the tournament heat. Anyone can play. So, let’s tennis. 

Tennis is booming, and what better way to find yourself in the game than
through local special events, promotions and play opportunities in the Houston area as part of National Tennis Month this May!

National Tennis Month is a nationwide grassroots effort driven by the United States Tennis Association (USTA) and its industry partners celebrating tennis, a sport which challenges one both physically and mentally. For 31 straight days, players, local coaches, facilities, retailers, tennis manufacturers and more will be driving awareness about the sport and its benefits by bringing existing and new players to the game with special events, promotions and play opportunities in their communities … many of them FREE.

April 2022 Newsletter

The RBC Wealth Management Houston Open returns to the courts April 15-18 at several area tennis sites.  Lee LeClear Tennis Center, 9506 S. Gessner, is headquarters. This is the sixth year that RBC has sponsored the event, which is open to adults, seniors and super seniors.  RBC Wealth Management also sponsors two junior events during the year.

The tournament offers 133 divisions, and the deadline to enter is April 6.

New HTA team member

Gloria Dial has joined the staff of HTA as tournament coordinator. Long a familiar face at Houston tournaments, Gloria makes her official debut with HTA at the RBC Wealth Management tournament this month.

She started volunteering with HTA in 1995 as a site director trainee under the tutelage of Executive Director Emeritus Harriett Hulbert and has been a referee for national, sectional and local tournaments.  She has also served on the HTA Board of Directors.

We are glad to have you as part of the HTA team, Gloria!

U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championship returns

The waiting is over. The Fayez Sarofim & Co. U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championship returns to the River Oaks Country Club April 2-10 after a two-year hiatus.

“Our player reveal gives us more excitement that we are finally returning to River Oaks for the first time in three years,” Tournament Director Bronwyn Greer said. “We are thrilled to welcome well-accomplished ATP Tour stars along with great talent making their debut at River Oaks. We also cannot wait to welcome back our fans to River Oaks.”

The field features World No. 8 and 2019 River Oaks finalist Casper Ruud and a pair of former champions—Cristian Garin (2019) and John Isner (2013). Australia’s Nick Kyrgios has been awarded a main draw wild card entry.

In addition to Isner, seven other Americans ranked among the top 60 in the world (Reilly Opelka, Taylor Fritz, Frances Tiafoe, Tommy Paul, Jenson Brooksby, Marcos Giron and Mackenzie McDonald) are entered into the main draw. Fritz comes off a March victory over Rafael Nadal in the finals at Indian Wells.

A two-round qualifier featuring 16 players will be held opening weekend, April 2-3, with four players advancing to the tournament’s main draw, which begins Monday, April 4.

Australian Open finalists Matthew Ebden and Max Purcell are one of 14 doubles teams in the River Oaks field.  Other notable names in the line-up include Santiago Gonzalez, Tommy Paul, Mackenzie McDonald, Sam Querrey, Steve Johnson, Daniel Elahi Galan and Denis Kudla.

Fans and spectators are invited to play in three special events at the tournament.  The Clay Court Teams Challenge, hosted by the USTA, is scheduled for April 2-3 for youngsters 7 to 10 years of age and a Juniors Night will be held the evening of April 4. The annual Ladies Day Clinic with professionals and Brad Gilbert will be held April 5, and the Guy’s Night Out is April 6.  Visit here for details.

March 2022 Newsletter

Houston hosts four national tournaments in March

Get ready to watch (and maybe participate in) some of the national senior men and women and wheelchair tennis players on Houston courts this March.

The USTA National 70 and 75 Men’s Indoors returns to the Downtown Club at the Met March 14-20; the USTA National Senior Women’s Clay Court Championships return March 21-27 to the Houston Racquet Club; and the University of Houston Cougar Open Wheelchair tournament (both the USTA and the ITF) fill the Memorial Park Tennis Center courts March 25-27.

Entry deadlines for the three tournaments are March 4 for the Men’s Indoors and the UH Cougar Open (ITF); March 5 for the Senior Women’s Clay Courts; and March 11 for the UH Cougar Open (USTA).

It’s been two years since the senior men competed in the 70 and 75 Indoors, suspended because of COVID-19, and Tournament Director Keith Christman is welcoming the event’s return. 

Sue Bramlette will mark her 19th year as tournament director and promises “to again provide the extensive Texas hospitality that has made this event so popular for ages 35 through 90.”

“All our social events will again be held outside for this 51st tournament, and we look forward to welcoming back more than 200 players to the tournament.  This March date is a return to the ‘regular’ USTA schedule for Level 1 tournaments,” she added.

She invites anyone who has questions to email her at suebramlette@comcast.net.

Lauren Haneke-Hopps

The 7th Annual UH Cougar Open Wheelchair Tennis Tournament, part of the UNIQLO Wheelchair Tour and presented by the Halliburton Charitable Foundation is run and organized by the University of Houston Adaptive Athletics Program. The Cougar Open features two registrations, one for a USTA tournament and the other for an ITF event. 

The ITF tournament has attracted some of the nation’s top players, including Avery Downing, Northport, Ala., No. 1 in the nation in singles, and Lauren Haneke-Hopps, San Diego, No. 2 nationally.

At newsletter press time, more than 40 players, many from out of state, have signed up for the USTA Wheelchair Open.

February 2022 Newsletter

Did you know that tennis promotes romance? How many sports can make that claim?

We offer these couples as proof that Cupid hangs around the courts with a racquet in his quiver of arrows.

Linda Martin and Richard Griffin were both frequent players at Homer Ford Tennis Center some 20 years or so ago when they met. They dated for several years, then decided to become permanent partners and tied the knot on May 31, 2003, Memorial Day weekend.

The venue for the wedding was a no-brainer.

“We decided to have the wedding at the tennis center because that is where we met and spent so much time,” Linda explained.

“I considered the tennis center our home away from home. The players are our tennis family at the center.”

And Homer Ford provided plenty of space for Linda’s relatives from Oklahoma and Richard’s family from Louisiana. Richard’s brother David Griffin and wife Gloria, both ordained ministers, married them on the grassy area shaded by the cedar trees near Court 11.

“It was 90 degrees,” Linda laughed, “and all the out-of-towners were complaining about the heat, but it was the perfect setting for our wedding.”

They renewed their vows ten years later, again at Homer Ford, and are still avid players. When they travel, they always pack their racquets.

Barbara and Mike Giordanelli met at work, but it was a shared love of tennis that brought them together. Mike tells the story.

“After I graduated college and came to work in Houston, Barb, who was already working at the company, found out I was a tennis player and invited me to a regular Monday night social to introduce me to other players at the company.

“Barb was a latecomer to tennis, but I on the other hand had started at age 12, took lessons and played tournaments as a junior, was part of a Texas high school state championship team and played competitively my first couple of years in college. I modestly understated my experience level a bit for that first Monday night, but once she figured out my ability relative to everyone else at the social, we became regular partners.

“Eventually, we started playing some small, non-sanctioned tournaments and after winning one I was rewarded with a kiss. It was then I started to notice how good she looked in her tennis skirts.  OK, I might have noticed before then, but it was at that point I started thinking about more than just tennis.  Soon we began socializing outside of tennis and work.  On the following Valentine’s Day I proposed, and a little over two years after we met we were married.

“That was 35 years ago this coming September and tennis is still a large part of our lives.  After getting hitched we played HTA Sunday mixed league for years, and except for the occasional team crisis of possibly having to forfeit a line, always together.  Our mindset has been that we don’t play mixed doubles because we need more tennis, it is because it is something we love to do together. 

“When our kids became old enough, we began playing in the LeMaster Husband-Wife tournament and haven’t missed one in nearly 15 years.  Getting more than enough competitive tennis from men’s and women’s leagues, more recently we have gone back to our tennis roots looking for social events that combine our other hobby – wine! – playing in mixers, team and charity events.  Besides playing, we enjoy watching tennis played at the highest levels and have started planning travel to coincide with professional tournaments. 

“We attended the Cabo San Lucas tournament a few years ago and will be in Acapulco at the end of February to coincide with the ATP 500 tournament.

“Our bucket list includes attending all of the Grand Slam tournaments. We made the US Open years ago when our daughter was at school in New York and attended the Australian Open in 2020, getting home just before the pandemic shut everything down.  The French Open and Wimbledon are still to come.  We are also regular volunteers at our local Houston tournament, the U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championships.”

Cupid hovered over Homer Ford again, aiming his arrows at Willie Brantley and Jeri Richard.

Both were playing in the KTSU Radio Tennis Tournament, part of the Weekend Warrior Tennis Circuit, which allowed participants to compete in cities in a number of southern states.

Willie, a native of Greenville, Miss., and Jeri, a Houston native, played the WWTC for several years, not knowing each other but knowing a lot of the same people.

In the summer of 2011 Willie, who did not live in Texas at that time, was visiting a friend in Houston. The friend and his lady friend, who was a friend of Jeri’s, decided to play mixed doubles.  They asked Jeri to fill in as their fourth player.

After playing well together they decided to enter a tournament in Oklahoma City in September 2011. They lost in the first round but planned to give it another try.  Time drifted, and it wasn’t until May 2012 that they met again at the next KTSU tournament.  That’s when the courtship began.  The summer after the tournament Willie and Jeri played and won several tournaments together.  Before the summer was over, they were engaged. In November of that year Willie moved to Houston, and they were married December 12, 2012.

Since they married, they have continued to keep tennis in their lives with leagues, tournaments or just hitting one on one. When they are not playing tennis, they are working, volunteering or just traveling somewhere to see some good matches.  Willie is a USTA official and Jeri is a tournament site director.  They play the LeMaster Husband Wife tournament every year and are volunteers for U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championships.  They are also board members for the Houston Tennis Classic (formerly the KTSU tennis tournament), the tournament that brought them together.  They will celebrate their tenth anniversary this year and are looking forward to many more years of tennis together.

David and Daryl Hall met in the late 1980s inside the Lee LeClear Tennis Center (then the Southwest Tennis Center) pro shop. David was cooling off inside before his next tournament match, and Daryl came in to deliver singles league information to the staff.

Over the next several years they crossed paths playing mixed doubles leagues and tournaments as opponents.  Eventually they played on the same mixed doubles league team, sometimes as partners. They soon began dating and got engaged in New York after attending the US Open Tennis Championships in 2003. They married in December of that year.

The Halls have returned to the US Open almost every year to celebrate and hope to someday go to all four Grand Slam tennis tournaments. In New York they enjoy going to musicals…as well as to attend them in Houston.

David and Daryl have enjoyed playing tennis together in HTA and USTA mixed doubles leagues, the HTA Houston Open and Fall Festival tournaments and in the LeMaster Husband & Wife Tournament for 17 years.    

January 2022 Newsletter

The 2022 HTA slate of officers and board members were elected December 15 at the HTA Annual Meeting and Holiday Party at Tennis Express.

Doug Pritchett continues as president through 2022.  Serving with him are Lara Lehmann and Srimonto Ghosh, vice presidents; William Mao, treasurer; and Claire Goosey, secretary.

Board members elected to serve for the 2022-2024 term were Marianne Bianchi (returning), John Castellano, Rafael Chapa, Parker Dobson (returning), Margaret Graham, Sanjay Mani and Greg Vinbladh.

Serving for 2022-23 are Tu Tran, Steve Ash, Michael Clayborne, Sarah Flood, Eugene Lou, Otis Sadler and Yvette Simpson.

Board members serving for 2022 are Samantha Savage, Caroline Champion, Mary Beth Flaherty, Patricia Gardner Young, Bronwyn Greer, Haley Wallace and Preston Pinto.

Troy Toole returns as pro advisor for 2022.

Outgoing board members Tina Beddow, Corbin Cooke, Victoria Jaeger and Kyle McCully were recognized for their service.

Also recognized and thanked were HTA staff members Emily Schaefer, Executive Director; Ann Wilde, League Coordinator; Melinda Hampton, Assistant League Coordinator; Daryl Hall, Accounting; and Amanda Collins, Office Assistant. Special thanks were accorded to outgoing HTA Executive Director Cheryl Hultquist and HTA Public Relations Representative Terry St. John.

A resounding round of applause goes to Brad Blume and his Tennis Express staff for their generous hospitality for the evening.

December 2021 Newsletter

Breaking News! You’re invited to the HTA Holiday Party and Annual Meeting December 15.

Click here for your invitation.

It’s been a long, drawn-out match, but “Team Tennis” is steadily out-maneuvering “Team COVID-19” and its subs, Delta, Mu and Omicron…

COVID won the first set and caused the cancellation of a number of spectator events, such as the U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championships and the USTA Men’s 70 and 75 Indoor Championships and delayed the 50th anniversary of the USTA Women’s 35-90 Clay Court Championships.

The CDC designated tennis as a low-risk activity, and Team Tennis began recruiting new players and luring back former players to swell its ranks and even the competition.

Team Tennis is in the lead again, and HTA can review 2021 with pride on its contributions to this accomplishment.

LEADERSHIP

Douglas Pritchett became president of the association in January. Serving with him are Vice President Srimonto Ghosh, Vice President and Secretary Lara Lehmann, Treasurer Claire Goosey and Executive Board Members Ted Erck and Peter Farrell.

In October Emily Schaefer became executive director when Cheryl Hultquist, executive director since 2007, retired.  Hultquist has provided volunteer work for HTA since 1979, eventually becoming assistant executive director before being named executive director.

SCHOLARSHIPS

Scholarship funds amounting to $19,500 were awarded to 14 outstanding students.

LEAGUES

League Coordinator Ann Wilde announced that adult leagues returned to their normal operation this past April with all public facilities opened for league play.  League participation will gradually be returning to normal numbers.   HTA thanks Committee chairman Corbin Cooke for his hard work during the year.

JUNIOR TEAM TENNIS

Junior team tennis has just completed its full season since the fall of 2019.  Local division winners completed Sectionals November 20-21 in Austin. We are looking forward to a robust spring season under the leadership of committee chair Sarah Flood.  

TOURNAMENTS

In February tournament directors and players began learning about the new system of levels, the new designation for tournaments. The terms Super Championships, Championships and Challengers were no longer to be used. HTA managed six tournaments in 2021—the January RBC Wealth Management Level 3 tournament for 18-year-olds; Level 5 Open RBC Wealth Management Adult Open in April; Level 4 RBC Wealth Management Open 12s and 16s in May; Level 5 Open 14s and 18s singles in June; Fall Festival Senior & Super Senior Tournament in October; and the LeMaster Husband-Wife in November.

JTT Committee Chair Sarah Flood penned several newsletter articles to help parents and players navigate the new system.

HTA NJTL

The Youth Tennis Summer Schedule began June 14 at 68 neighborhood park sites.  Classes met Monday through Thursday in the morning or afternoon.

HTA NJTL continued its engagement with the children through its ACE classes (Academic Creative Engagement), the educational component of the program through virtual classes. Summer sessions continued at neighborhood courts with limited participants per court.  The larger summer rallies were postponed because of the virus.

Erin Baumeister won first place in the female 14-and-under category in the USTA Foundation’s national NJTL Essay Contest.  USTA local Texas winners were girls 18-and-under, Jada Lucas; 16-and-under, Alexandria Chung; 12-and-under, Natalia Alvarado; and 10-and-under, Julia Zhu.  Boys winners were 12-and-under, Raunak Sharda; and 10-and-under, Ryan Zhu.

Victoria Jaeger, Tina Beddow and Cecile Wilde organized a successful tennis mixer at Giammalva Racquet Club in November to benefit HTA NJTL.

HTA NJTL enjoyed new funding from the County Connections Grants offered through Harris County Department of Education CASE for Kids that supported programming in Harris County Precincts One, Two and Four.  Continuing support from the USTA Foundation, Chase Return the Serve and others helped strengthen the collaboration between HTA NJTL and the Houston Parks and Recreation Department so that classes remained free even with the increased number of sites served.

AWARDS

Several tennis colleagues were honored by their peers.  Manuel Moreno, head tennis coach at Pasadena’s J. Frank Dobie High School, received the USTA Texas Lloyd Sessions Educational Merit Award, and Ron Fisher received the USTA Texas Senior Spirit of Tennis Award.  Both were nominated by HTA. Tomoko King, received the 2020 Ray DelCastillo Official of the Year Award (formerly called the Umpire of the Year Award}.  John Wilkerson, tennis director emeritus of the Zina Garrison Academy, was inducted into the USPTA Hall of Fame during its World Conference in Las Vegas. Chuck Sanchelli was inducted into the Texas Tennis Hall of Fame.

AREA NEWS

The Astros Golf Foundation began a $4 million renovation at Memorial Park Tennis Center that included relocating 10 courts and replacing them with post-tension concrete courts.  The remaining 8 courts were resurfaced and a new grandstand constructed.  Efforts continue to raise funds for the proposed Lee LeClear Education and Tennis Center, and a master plan for MacGregor Park could see improvements to the tennis facility in the near future.

Sammy Giammalva, Jr., sold his Giammalva Racquet Club to club members Victor Pinones, Anand Krishnan and Helga Pinones.  Giammalva remains with the club to recruit, organize and run USTA events and coach in the club’s academy, as well as to give private lessons.

SIGNA Sports United (SSU) announced a binding agreement to acquire Tennis Express. Brad Blume remains with Tennis Express to run day-to-day operations and announces that the store is moving to a bigger space on Westpark in March 2022.

The U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championships at River Oaks Country Club were canceled because of the pandemic, but the USTA Senior Women’s Clay Courts at the Houston Racquet Club managed to celebrate their 50th anniversary in September. The U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championship will be held April 2-10, 2022.

November 2021 Newsletter

The November 20-21 LeMaster Husband & Wife Annual Tennis Tournament is both an anniversary and a reunion of sorts.

This is the 63rd anniversary of the tournament and its return after a missed event in 2020.

Brenda Blanchard, left, and Lena Lahasky

“2020 was the first year that the LeMaster tournament was cancelled,” Co-Chair Lena Lahasky noted.

“The tournament was cancelled because of the pandemic,” she explained.

“It was a tough decision for the committee, because this tournament had not been missed in 62 years.  There was even some discussion about cancelling 2021 when the Delta variant came into play, but we decided that the show must go on,” she said.

The tournament, which will be held at Northgate Country Club, honors its founders Chuck and Roberta LeMaster with HTA scholarships in their names. Through donations, raffles and a portion of the entry fee, the tournament has been able to donate $3,500 in 2018 and $5,000 in 2019 to area high school senior tennis players. 

Lahasky believes that although COVID-19 canceled the 2020 tournament, it also increased the interest in tennis.

She predicts that “the tournament will max out with participants because our regular couples will sign up, and a new set of married couples who picked up tennis will hear of the competitive and fun weekend that the tournament offers.”

The tournament, which offers ten divisions and a Saturday buffet dinner, is limited to 50 husband and wife teams, who must be legally married.  Deadline is early in November or when the maximum is reached.

Lena and Andrew Lahasky are co-chairs with Brenda and Dan Blanchard.  Their committee members are Kristen and Drew Matthews, Daryl and David Hall, Katy and Ross Gehlhausen, Mary and Tim Chen and Tournament Director Cheryl Hultquist.

Visit lemastertennis.com for details and register at TennisLink.

October 2021 Newsletter

Karma, kismet, fate, destiny, providence…call it what you will, Emily Schaefer… HTA’s new executive director, was born to become a significant player in the tennis world.

Several decades ago Richard Schuette and Bambi Whitridge met at Memorial Park Tennis Center, fell in love and got married in St. Theresa’s Church right across the street. They had three daughters—Emily first, then Alice, then Heidi.

“I started playing when I was about eight years old,” Emily said. 

“Both my parents were nationally ranked players and founding members at the Houston Racquet Club, so that’s kind of when I got my start. I just would go out with them; it was a great place to learn tennis. They didn’t try to make me do anything.  They would just go hit with me, which was great.”

But Emily confides that tennis impacted her life even before she was born because it enabled her father to attend medical school, graduate, support his family and afford to send the three girls to college.

“When my father wanted to attend medical school, there would have been no chance for him to do so were it not for some very generous benefactors that he knew through tennis, like Jack Blanton and Howard Startzman,” Emily explained.

“I think that is one of the reasons I’ve stayed involved in the tennis industry so many decades—I really do believe tennis can have a positive impact in people’s lives and have seen it myself.

“When the position of executive director at HTA came open, I knew it was something that interested me.  After all, in my lifetime, only two amazing women have held the position—Harriett Hulbert and Cheryl Hultquist.  To follow in their footsteps is meaningful, and I plan to work very hard.”

Emily, who retired after 22 years as Director of Tennis for the City of Houston Parks and Recreation Department when the HTA named her its executive director, plans to use the knowledge and experience gained over the years to better envision future success for HTA.

Her career and experience have prepared her for this leadership role. 

She played on the Princeton University team, achieving an NCAA Division 1 singles ranking as high as 24 in the United States. After graduation she played a few professional circuit events, then became a teaching pro.

“I joined the Rice University staff as an assistant coach for five years, then ran a junior program at a large private club,” she said.

Memorial Park Tennis Center during Chase Day

“In 1999 I heard that the City of Houston was hiring a director of tennis, and I applied for that job and was hired.”

During all the years that Emily was working she was volunteering her time and effort to grow and improve tennis in Texas.

In 2017, she became just the fifth female to be named USTA Texas President. During her time as president, she was instrumental in creating the Hispanic Engagement Task Force to cater to the growing Hispanic population in Texas. She is currently a director at large for the USTA national board for 2021-2022.

As director of tennis at the Houston Parks and Recreation Department she so supported HTA’s National Junior Tennis League activities that the program has grown into serving more than 6,000 children each year and incorporated educational and social development elements. For her efforts, Emily was the recipient of the Eve Kraft USTA Community Service Award in 2007, the USPTA Industry Excellence Award in 2010 and the USTA Texas W.T. Caswell Service Award in 2015.

Emily was HTA president in 2012-2013 and has been on the executive committee and advisory board for a number of years.

On the court, she and her mother Bambi Schuette have won 18 national mother-daughter doubles titles, including a Gold Slam in 2008 winning all four surface nationals in a calendar year.

Emily succeeds Cheryl Hultquist, who is retiring after more than 40 years of volunteering and working for HTA.

Douglas Pritchett, president of the HTA board of directors, said, “We were happily surprised by the amount of interest in the position, receiving applications from across the State of Texas and the United States from many well-qualified applicants, each offering their own unique experience and skill sets.

“After interviewing the top candidates, a selection committee of former HTA presidents offered Emily the position, and she accepted,” he noted.

“While we are sad to see Cheryl leave, we are confident that Emily will carry on her example of excellence, involvement at all levels and love for the game,” he added.

The sport has influenced and guided Emily’s life and career. She has welcomed the opportunities and responded with enthusiasm.

She sees continued success for the sports’ growth in our city and noted, “Houston has such a rich tennis history, and it would be wonderful to revisit a time like the 1970s when tennis was all the rage.  Over the past year and a half, many new players have taken up the game, and this is the city to do it in—from free NJTL programs at neighborhood parks and schools to the highest performance level at the Fayez Sarofim & Co. U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championship at River Oaks Country Club—Houston tennis has it all.”

September 2021 Newsletter

Senior Women’s Golden Anniversary

Sue Bramlette, left, and Cathy Perrin, HRC’s director of membership and tournament member

The USTA National Senior Women’s Clay Court Championships will celebrate its 50th anniversary September 20-26 at the Houston Racquet Club after more than a year’s delay because of the pandemic.

Players from age 35 to over 90 compete in the tournament which has been recognized as one of the premier events on the women’s circuit. Past tourneys have attracted former Wimbledon and U.S. Open champions and players from the women’s professional tour. The legendary Dodo Cheney earned a significant number of her national titles here in Houston.

Sue Bramlette, tournament director (see August newsletter), is assisted by a cadre of experienced associates and volunteers.  Chief among them are Harriett Hulbert and Mary Ann Gralka, who handle the scheduling; Judy Job, in charge of tournament registration; and Gloria Dial, tournament referee.

Harriett Hulbert, left

Harriett has worked with the tournament for all 50 of those years, first as a “flunky,” as she describes her role, all the way up to tournament referee. She has managed scheduling through all kinds of weather delays including a year when there was snow on the courts “and we couldn’t play until the courts were defrosted by the afternoon!”

Many memories…watching her preteen daughter Ann Hulbert Hopper serving as a ball girl for one of Dodo Cheney’s finals…waiting for a Bambi Schuette match to finish.  “Bambi’s matches sometimes lasted for five or more hours while she literally wore out her opponent”…and in earlier tournament years playing in the 35 age division “to help fill out the draw” and proudly going three sets with a former ranked player.”

Past tournament directors have been invited to the Celebration Toast during the tournament week to participate in this milestone.

August 2021 Newsletter

By Troy Toole, Chair, HTA Diversity & Inclusion Committee

Toole proudly displays the USTA National and the USTA Texas Member Organization of the Year awards that the Downtown Club at the Met received in 2018.

I first and foremost want to thank HTA, the board and Doug (Pritchett), for giving me the opportunity to be involved in this organization.

I grew up playing in the inner city of Chicago and was fortunate to grow up in a great diverse tennis community. Many of those in that community made it their life passion such as I have done. It is important that this love, passion and opportunity for the sport is allowed to be vibrant and accessible in every community. Our goal is to make sure that EACH and EVERY OPPORTUNITY is available for ANYONE seeking to grow within the Houston tennis community.

Historically this is not what has taken place within the sport of tennis which is why there has been a need for a D&I committee in each section. HTA is consistently evolving as an organization and making sure we are getting out to each community in the Houston area. The fact that HTA has added a D&I committee shows our commitment to represent every person. Our feeling going forward, is that each and every opportunity is not only available on the courts but also off the courts.

The tennis industry grew to $6.19 billion dollars in 2019. As someone who has been involved in this industry for over 45 years, it has not been nearly diverse enough, especially in the industry arena. Opportunities to be a part of that $6.19 billion dollar industry should be afforded to EVERYONE.

Our job as an organization is to help create those opportunities. Another way to help create those opportunities is to make sure that those from diverse backgrounds who have already made huge strides in the sport get their recognition.

I look forward to working with the D&I committee (Sarah Flood, Bronwyn Greer, Haley Lefler) and the incoming HTA leadership. I know Emily Schaefer has been at the forefront of D&I here in Houston and the USTA Texas section. I look forward to creating opportunities for others, on and off the court.

Most CTAs do not have D&I committees.  As a newcomer to the board, I am learning about the HTA organization and its culture. We, on the D&I Committee, plan to work toward maintaining the proper culture to encourage diversity, equity and inclusion.

Following are our initiatives for the D&I Committee.  We encourage other HTA committees to collaborate with us.

1)      Assist city offices in efforts to attract, engage, and retain tennis players and HTA/USTA members from underrepresented/diverse populations

2)      Establish a relationship with USTA Texas D&I section

3)      Establish a relationship with Historically Black Universities (HBCU) and encourage volunteer service in HTA/USTA

4)      Recognize and publicize individuals who are D&I difference makers, in the HTA community

5)      Help with recruitment and retention of staff and volunteers within the HTA/USTA community

6)      Develop communications/marketing materials (social media/online resources) to grow or highlight the D&I community

7)      Establish an internship program working with D&I organizations in the HTA community. That way we can get the strongest candidates to help grow our relationships within those communities.

8)      Establish a relationship with LGBTQ organizations within the Houston area and partner with them

July 2021 Newsletter

What’s on your summer reading list?

If you’re looking for some good books about tennis to read, here are a few suggestions…several with a Texas connection.

Donn Gobbie, tennis coach, historian and lifelong tennis fan, has released “A Dollar & A Dream, Gladys Heldman, the Original 9 and Women’s Professional Tennis” in time for the women’s induction into the International Tennis Hall of Fame in July.  

Billie Jean King has written the foreword to this historic sport and Houston event, citing it as “the most comprehensive, go-to source of information on this iconic moment in sports.”

Judy Dalton, finalist in that first Virginia Slims tournament, added, “The politics, the personalities, the great matches—it’s all here. This is the definitive history of the Original 9 and the formation of the women’s circuit—a must read!”

The book, which developed from Gobbie’s doctoral dissertation on the birth of women’s professional tennis, reveals the significance of Gladys Heldman’s and the Houston Racquet Club and Houston Tennis Association members’ roles in the formation of the fledgling movement. An especially fun part of reading the book is recognizing many of the organizers as your friends or acquaintances.

The book is available at DollarDreamBook.net.

Since we’re concentrating on tennis in Texas, Ken McAllister’s “Cattle to Courts, A History of Tennis in Texas” is a must read.

In this comprehensive volume, anecdotes and personal observations explore how Texas became a leader of America’s “Tennis Boom” through national and international events. In addition to showing how Texas communities and statewide tennis organizations contributed to the sport’s growth, the book highlights the stories of American tennis’ most special characters and personalities. McAllister, the former executive director of USTA Texas Section, player, high school coach, director of tennis at several clubs and USPTA Master Professional, shares unique insights from his 50 years in the tennis industry.

Texan Cliff Richey, who achieved a world ranking of No. 6 in the 1960-70s, has chronicled his battle with clinical depression in two books, “Acing Depression: A Tennis Champion’s Toughest Match and “Your Playbook for Beating Depression.”

The first describes his dark struggle and his 10-year fight for control of his mind and his road to stability, and the second helps readers understand, manage and live with depression, offering a tool on the path to recovery. “Your Playbook for Beating Depression” will make readers the captain of their own team, as they learn about depression as a medical issue, gain insights into proven and effective treatments, and get the most out of life while living with depression.” 

Julie Heldman, a member of the Original Nine, penned “Driven,” an insider’s account of a pivotal time in women’s tennis history; an in-depth look at mom Gladys Heldman’s complex character; and the revealing story of Julie’s interior journey, both on and off the court.

Leaving the relationship to Texas but not to tennis, we recommend some of these new books about our favorite sport.

“Pioneers of the Game: The Evolution of Men’s Professional Tennis,” by Marshall Happer: The saga and history of the inside struggles and conflicts of a surprisingly small group of international visionaries and activists who shaped the business, administration and governance of men’s professional tennis from 1919 to 1990 and beyond is told in Pioneers of the Game.

“Own the Arena:  Getting Ahead, Making a Difference, And Succeeding as the Only One,” by Katrina Adams; From the former president and CEO of the United States Tennis Association—the first Black woman and youngest person ever to hold the position—comes a behind-the-scenes look at the leadership skills involved in hosting the U.S. Open, the largest and most lucrative sports event in the world—lessons that can be applied across business and to any life challenge.

“Federer: Portrait of a Tennis Legend,” by Iain Spragg: Many fans and experts consider Roger Federer the best in tennis, with a record-breaking list of achievements. This richly photographed biography follows the superstar’s life and career as he advances from the junior tournaments to the main professional circuit. A great role model on and off the court, Federer plays with elegance and magnificent sportsmanship. Anyone who loves tennis will enjoy learning more about this transcendent athlete.

“Little Wonder:  The Fabulous Story of Lottie Dod: The World’s First Female Sports Superstar,” by Sasha Abramsky:  “Before Serena Williams and Megan Rapinoe, there was Lottie Dod…Abramsky presents a well-researched account of a woman whose rare losses were almost more newsworthy than her consistent victories.” —Christian Science Monitor

“The Divine Miss Marble:  A Life of Tennis, Fame, and Mystery,” by Robert Weintraub: In her public life, she was the biggest tennis star of the pre-war era, a household name like Joe DiMaggio and Joe Louis. She was famous for overcoming serious illness to win the biggest tournaments, including Wimbledon. She was also a fashion designer and trendsetter, a contributor to a pioneering new comic called Wonder Woman… She helped integrate tennis with her support of Althea Gibson and even coached two young women who became stars in their own right: Billie Jean King and Sally Ride. Yet her private life provoked constant speculation while she was alive, and her own memoirs added layers of legend upon stories.

If any of these titles don’t tempt you to turn off the tube and sink into a comfy chair with your favorite beverage, there are other new books out about Pete Sampras, Serena Williams, Rod Laver, Billie Jean King, World Team Tennis, Rafael Nadal, Naomi Osaka and an October release date for a Bjorn Borg book. Just don’t get so mesmerized that you run late for your match!

June 2021 Newsletter

HTA has distributed college scholarships totaling $19,500 to 14 greater Houston area high school graduates.

The students received sums from $1,000 to $2,500.    In addition to HTA contributions, funds have been provided by the HTA/NJTL (National Junior Tennis and Learning), the National Senior Women’s Clay Court Championships, the Steve Wolford Memorial Scholarship Fund, Houston Ladies Tennis Association (HLTA), West Houston Ladies Tennis Association, the Sean Rudolph Memorial Scholarship, RBC Wealth Management, Harry Fowler Scholarship Fund and the Fayez Sarofim & Co. U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championship.

Students who received the grants and their high schools and college destinations are Alejandra Barrios (Cypress Creek High School, St. Edward’s University) Jordi Cardenas (Cypress Springs HS, Houston Community College); Hannah Lee Chang (St. John’s HS, New York University); Yuta Haratsu (Westchester Academy for International Studies, Texas A&M); Kylie Imperial, Memorial HS, Austin College); Sarah Lootens (Memorial HS, U of Maryland); Rafe Loya (Waller HS, Baylor); Steven Mauro (Ross S. Sterling HS, Baylor); Quentin Maxwell (Magnolia West HS, U of Alabama); Kara Nagasaki (Stratford HS, UT Austin); Anthony Nguyen (Klein Forest HS, UT Austin); Remy Nicole Roark (Needville HS, Texas State); Ellen Sartwell (Ridge Point HS, UT Austin); and Madison Shindler (St. Pius HS, Tulane).

All 14 students played either varsity tennis for their high school teams, participated in NJTL and/or in local USTA tournaments.

The HTA has awarded more than $362,500 in scholarship funds to deserving high school seniors since 1992.

Top row, from left: Yuta Haratsu, Hannah Chang, Kylie Imperial; Second row: Kara Nagasaki, Rafe Loya, Sarah Lootens

*************************************************************************************************************

May 2021 Newsletter

Photo 1:  Cheryl with sons Ron and Ryan and families; 2.  Houston Open tournament winners; 3. At the captains’ party at the Met with Melinda Hampton and Ann Wilde; 4. Cheryl with Charles Hoover; 5. With a scholarship winner at Beck’s Prime luncheon announcement; 6.  Ashley Ann 

Double Trouble lured a suburban mom into a lifelong courtship.

In 1979 Cheryl Hultquist entered young sons Ron and Ryan into a two-week “Double Trouble” event sponsored by HTA at Southwest Tennis Center (renamed Lee LeClear Tennis Center in 1995). “The kiddos played tennis, games, had lunch together and then played more tennis,” Cheryl related.

“Being the mom that I was, I couldn’t leave my children alone at a public facility that was 45 minutes from my house, so I hung around. And I met Jo Ann Padgett and Harriett Hulbert (executive director and assistant executive director at the time) who gave me a volunteer job while I was there.”

One volunteer job led to another, and pretty soon Cheryl became a permanent volunteer.

“Harriett and Jo Ann taught me to be a site director, and I worked the sites where my boys played on the junior circuit,” she said.

Cheryl’s own enthusiasm as a player encouraged her two sons to play college tennis and to become 5.0 players.  She eventually had to curtail her singles activity when she ruptured her Achilles tendon.  But she still enjoys playing doubles.

When Harriett became the executive director in 1983, she asked Cheryl if she would like to apply for the job as assistant executive director and league coordinator. Cheryl accepted the challenge, and the two worked hand-in-hand until Harriett’s retirement in June 2007, when Cheryl was offered the executive director’s position.

“We had such a great working relationship,” Harriett said.

“We were friends as well as working partners and were always on the same wavelength, often finishing each other’s sentences.

“She has been so dedicated and loyal to HTA and willing to try to solve any problems, whether computer, league or people related,” Harriett continued.

As HTA executive director, Cheryl’s responsibilities include organizing, facilitating and acting as the representative to community leaders, community partners and the organization’s members.  She manages the day-to-day operations, administration, programs and staff and provides financial and budgetary reporting and staff support for officers and board members.

Even with this full agenda, Cheryl finds time to volunteer.

Claire Goosey, long-time board member and officer, describes her as a dear friend whose generosity is as big as her heart.

“She volunteers for Serve Up a Cure (which raises funds for medically underserved women) and donates her time when she does it.

“I was on the Board 20 years ago when I underwent my breast cancer surgery and treatment.  I told Cheryl that I thought that I needed to resign while I was undergoing my treatment, and she said ‘absolutely not.  You need to stay on the board because we want you and need you.’

“She is a part of my life and knowing her has enriched my journey.”

Bev Taylor, who has spent countless hours of her own volunteering and promoting tennis throughout the community, also appreciates Cheryl’s contributions.

“I have known Cheryl since our sons were playing juniors. She is kind, caring and very professional, and I have never seen her lose her temper. And God knows she has had reason to! She is also the hardest worker I know. She loves her family more than life and especially the little ones. I have traveled with her–which was a delightful experience. I could barely keep up with her energy. Cheryl has been especially helpful to me in my work with NJTL. She is never too busy to answer questions and calm me down when I am frustrated. All in all—a class act!”

Cheryl has made the decision to retire when the Board of Directors find a qualified replacement.

Her husband Charles Hoover passed away last November due to complications from leukemia, and she has barely had time to slow down and cherish her memories of their time together.

She is looking forward to spending more quality time with her sons and their families and her three sisters and their families..and pampering Ashley Ann, her Maltese.

“My sisters and I lost our mother to cancer when she was 55, and we (Jackie Hooper Fowler, Sandy Hooper Horine and Cindy Hooper Sturm) have always remained close and have been together for many, many holidays and sister weekend trips.

“My sisters and I are proud owners of a farm in Willow Springs, Texas, between Brenham and LaGrange.  My grandparents built this house in 1907, and my mother was born and raised there.  At the present time we are renovating the farmhouse and hope to spend more family time there together.

“I will miss the camaraderie and the friendships I have made with HTA over the last decades,” Cheryl said.

“I’ve worked with many presidents and officers over the years, each different in their ways and knowledge, and have gained knowledge and respect from them as well as their friendship. Harriett Hulbert was the very best to work with, and we have continued to maintain a wonderful friendship throughout the years and to the present date.”

Another great advantage of being involved with HTA was meeting Diana Wengler. Diana called the office one day and offered to volunteer.  “We became fast friends as we worked together and played together (BFFs).”

“I have been blessed.”

Past President Randy Ortwein (2010-11) summed up what Cheryl means to HTA.

“It has been my pleasure to have known Cheryl for many years.  Over those years I have worked with her while I was a player, volunteer, league captain, board member and president of the Board.   I was always amazed at how she could be working tirelessly on a big tournament or setting up leagues for a particular season and smiling her way through it.  (Even before technology when she did those things with paper and pencil.)  Her positive attitude not only keeps her going; it’s the catalyst that keeps others around her going as well.

It’s always refreshing to meet someone who wants to be where they are, doing the things they want to be doing and not complaining about their lives,” Randy continued.

“It takes a special dedicated person to work sometimes seven days a week to provide opportunities for people to play tennis.  She works hard so others can play. We all love and appreciate her.”

***********************************************************************************************************

April 2021 Newsletter

(We “borrowed” this article from USTA Texas because we think so much of Emily Schaefer and all she means to HTA.  The article was included in a series that USTA created for Women’s History Month in March saluting those women who courageously pioneered progress in tennis, as well as those whose passion and presence continues to fuel its growth and success at every level—from its grass roots to its grandest stages.)

Emily Schaefer’s volunteer journey with USTA Texas began over 20 years ago, but her contributions to tennis go back much further than that.

Emily has worked extensively with Houston Tennis Association and the NJTL for decades, starting her journey back in 1999. For her efforts, Emily was the recipient of the Eve Kraft USTA Community Service Award in 2007 and the USTA Texas W.T. Caswell Service Award in 2015.

In 2017, Emily became just the fifth female to be named USTA Texas president. During her time as president, she was instrumental in creating the Hispanic Engagement Task Force to cater to the growing Hispanic population in Texas.

We were lucky enough to speak with Emily and several other past presidents earlier this month. Here is Emily’s tennis journey in her own words.

“I started playing when I was about eight years old. Both my parents were nationally ranked players and founding members at the Houston Racquet Club, so that’s kind of when I got my start. I just would go out with them — it was a great club to learn tennis. They didn’t try to make me do anything. They would just go hit with me which was great.

“I was about 10 years old when the Battle of the Sexes happened. Both my parents attended because it was here in Houston. There’s a couple different things you remember as a kid — it was kind of nice because you could see your parents each kind of rooting for the other. My dad could play up the male chauvinist and my mom could act like she was some giant women’s rights person for that moment. It was just fun to watch them disagree in a jovial way. We were also personal friends with Gladys Heldman who helped launch the Virginia Slims Circuit and the professional women so I knew a little bit about that leading up to that moment even though I was young. I felt like it was a very significant time even as a young girl for women and especially with the results as it came out.

“I do think women contemplate what kind of sacrifice it’s going to be because there is a tendency to put everything you have in it and so it’s a big decision before you decide to take on that leadership role. I think a lot of the time you’re having to balance a lot no matter what your situation is in life. To kind of ascend to a presidency of a large volunteer organization is a big decision because that just means there are that many more people that are kind of counting on you.

“I would say early on when I first kind of got involved in the business of tennis, Harriett Hulbert was a great mentor to me. Also, just as far as the educational realm, Jane Morrill was really helpful for me. Then when it came to more of the Texas Section and the kind of the politics and maneuvering and different things or at least understanding some of that, I have to say I had encouragement from Barbara Smith and Nancy Alfano — that meant a lot to me. I mean Carol Welder as a president was an excellent model. Judy Levering is somebody whom I knew personally so it made me much more comfortable getting involved after watching her lead what I thought was a very classy presidency at the national level. Then I’d have to say Katrina Adams because she was an athlete and scholar and somebody who brought a different perspective and a very effective business woman so I think we are not short on female examples.

“Whether it’s women or any other underrepresented group, I think the more we make the sport accessible to all and even the service accessible to all, then the better chance we’re gonna see individuals rise whether they’re women or like I say other underrepresented groups. I think that’s all positive.