If you are as passionate about tennis as we are, you may have as much fun working for the Houston Tennis Association as we do. We have both full- and part-time positions with varying—and often flexible—hours in our offices conveniently located in the Westchase area between Westheimer and Richmond on Briarpark, easily accessible from both the Galleria area and the Beltway.
Our staff is small, and we have only infrequent job openings. When we do, full details will be posted here and in our Latest News section.
Open Position: Communications Associate
- Position posted: February 20, 2016
- Available to start: no later than June 1, 2016
- Position type: full-time, salaried
- Education Level: Bachelor's degree preferred in Marketing, Communications, New Media, Public Relations, or related fields
- Experience: 2+ years preferred
- Location: Houston, TX 77042
- Reports to: HTA Executive Director
We are looking for a driven, outgoing, creative individual who loves tennis, who can help establish marketing plans aligned with strategic goals and help implement those plans with minimal direction, who enjoys interacting with people, and who has a flare for oral, written, and visual communication.
The ideal candidate will have some background in online media—including social media and website management—and who will be willing to assist with general operation of the HTA office. While 80% or more of the time will be spent in the office, flexibility to help with occasional weekend tournaments or other events is required (training will be provided); time off will be arranged to compensate for extra hours worked.
This is not an entry level position, but for the right candidate a can-do attitude and creative skills will be more important than an extensive resume. He or she should also be equally comfortable speaking to a player at a local tournament and to owners or officers of organizations with which the HTA partners or does business.
- Help build and execute HTA marketing and communications plans, to include brand awareness, reputation management, and pull and push marketing
- Act as an administrator for the HTA website to keep content current and accurate; offer advice for improvement and optimization of website design, function, SEO, and social media integration
- Design and manage the HTA social media presence, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube
- Generate, edit, publish, and share content (original text, text or content supplied by others, images, audio and/or video) that builds meaningful brand awareness for the HTA; in addition to the website and social media, to also include email newsletters/communications, surveys, and printed materials
- Work closely with a contracted PR specialist to enhance the value of public relations efforts
- Serve as a member of the Marketing & Communications Committee
- Act as point-of-contact for incoming telephone calls not directed to a specific extension number
- Maintain regular office hours as assigned and attend weekly staff meetings
- Assist the HTA Executive Director with office organization and operation
- Help periodically with HTA-administered local tournaments and other special events
- Monitor a general information enquiry email account and forward or respond to questions appropriately
- Work and collaborate with other staff or committee members as necessary
- Proven work experience or commensurate education in Marketing, Communications, New Media, Public Relations, or related fields
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills, including compilation and editing of text submitted by others
- Good consultancy and collaborative abilities; able to engage and work with others to complete tasks
- Solid PC skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Demonstrable social networking experience and channel knowledge
- Basic knowledge of web design and web development; familiarity with basic HTML required
- Positive attitude, detail and customer oriented with good multitasking and organizational skills
- Ability to help complete HTA office operations as assigned
- Flexibility to work occasional weekend hours; time off will be arranged to compensate for extra hours
Any of the following is a plus, but not a requirement for consideration:
- Graphic/visual design including page layout and image editing
- Intermediate knowledge of HTML and CSS; knowledge of Joomla
- Familiarity with iContact, management of lists and custom fields, and generation of professional-looking newsletters and email campaigns
- General knowledge of survey planning, design, deployment, and analysis
- Ability to edit, prepare, and package videos for YouTube
- Familiarity with any of these Adobe CC products: Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere Pro, Illustrator
- Basic fluency in Spanish a plus
To apply, or ask us a question about the position, use this email form. We look forward to hearing from you.